Applications accepted until May 1, 2016. We'd love to hear from you!
Lettuce Learn is dedicated to providing quality garden-based education programs to children of all ages in a variety of settings. We work with schools and child-care centers to help create garden-based curriculum and garden designs that support and encourage learning.
The Community Outreach & Communications Intern works with the Director on a variety of outreach tasks including social media updates, newsletter creation, flyer design, event planning, and database management. This opportunity affords direct and ongoing contact with community leaders, public officials, schools, parks and other community institutions, as well as other nonprofit organizations.
DUTIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
- Identifying and staffing a variety of community events such as farmers' markets, festivals, and public school events.
- Updating and maintaining our database of public official, community, and school contacts
- Developing letters and fact sheets and other informational materials about Lettuce Learn for community leaders and potential new sites;
- Working with Lettuce Learn garden coordinators to help promote school garden volunteer and outreach events
- Ensuring timely follow up to all inquires and meetings.
- An understanding of and passion for garden-based learning and sustainable agriculture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with community organizing and grassroots capacity building efforts
- Ability to both work independently and be a good team player
- Experience with web design, print, digital, and social media
- Confident with Microsoft Excel & Google platform including Gmail, Google Groups, Calendar, and Drive
- Knowledge or willingness to learn about various email marketing campaign platforms
- Preference is given to students currently enrolled at Appalachian State University, but others are encouraged to apply
Intern must be available the week of July 24-30, 2016
This position will report to the Lettuce Learn Project Director.
Application deadline: May 1, 2016
Please complete the application found here and send a resume to LettuceLearnProject@gmail.com with "Outreach intern" in the subject line.