The Lettuce Learn Project is seeking a learning garden assistant to help with Mrs. Anne Wilson's 6th Grade "Lettuce Learn Science!" Garden beginning in Aug 2015 and ending in early November 2015*.
*There is the possibility of extending the post until the end of the school year in June 2016.
The position is part time (5-10 hrs/week) and is located at Hardin Park Elementary School in Boone, NC. The garden-education assistant will receive a monthly travel stipend of $200 to assist with travel expenses.
Lettuce Learn is a school garden support program within the High Country. We work towards the vision of creating nutritious, fair, and clean food for the wellbeing of our citizens and community. Because we believe school gardens are one path towards that goal, we provide support and resources to ensure school garden success so that all children may learn the art of food production, develop an ecological and nutritional literacy, and have the opportunity to learn in an experiential, place-based way.
The Hardin Park learning garden assistant will be provided with a variety of tools to help prepare them for their role. They will be part of the Lettuce Learn Team with access to comprehensive online training modules to help guide them along the entire process of planning, coordinating, maintaining, harvesting, and sharing the garden. Benefits include opportunities to to explore and experiment with best practices, and to work collaboratively with other garden educators, the Lettuce Learn leadership, and the teachers, staff, and administration at Hardin Park.
The learning garden assistant will report to the Lettuce Learn Project Director and Mrs. Anne Wilson.
TASKS WILL INCLUDE:
- Class garden planning and maintenance
- Collaboration and communication with host site to ensure requirements are followed and stakeholder needs are met
- Coordinating with host site to create and deliver educational opportunities in the outdoor classroom based on 6th grade science standards
- Hosting a community outreach event to build excitement and a vibrant school culture surrounding the garden and sustainability education (including at least one volunteer garden work “party” and/or one culturally focused garden event)*
- Communicating school garden efforts with your school’s community, the Lettuce Learn community, and the following year’s learning garden assistant
- Keeping a garden journal that documents the year’s work including photos, lessons taught in the garden, and lessons learned from the experience.
- Where appropriate, leading/assisting other sustainability efforts at the school
- An understanding of and passion for garden-based learning and sustainable agriculture
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in an educational setting (especially with middle school students)
- Knowledge of 6th grade science standards
- Basic carpentry experience
- Greenhouse experience
- Knowledge of basic plant science, ecology, and earth science
- Experience with community organizing and grassroots capacity building efforts
- Ability to both work independently and be a good team player
- Experience with print and/or digital media
- Applications due Aug 5, 2015
- Position begins Aug 10 (Must attend Lettuce Learn Team meeting 8/10, 2:30-5pm)
- The applicant must have availability from 12:00-3:30 every Thursday beginning Aug 15 - Nov 10, 2015
The learning garden assistant will receive a monthly travel stipend of $200. This position can also serve as an internship opportunity if needed.
IF YOU HAVE READ THE ENTIRE POSITION DESCRIPTION ABOVE,
- Please complete the application found at the link below
- AND SEND A RESUME to LettuceLearnProject@gmail.com with "Hardin Park Learning Garden Assistant" in the subject line.